The case for confidence
Incorporating the most technologically advanced active and passive safety systems available, Subaru builds vehicles that inspire confidence on every type of road, under all possible conditions and at all times. For the 2014 model year, the Subaru Forester – an IIHS Top Safety Pick** for seven years running – has been significantly revised to incorporate the latest generation of these systems, including structural enhancements that have helped boost standards to new heights.
The combination of a world-class all-wheel drive system, striking agility, superior visibility and class-leading active safety systems such as Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), ABS and the brand new EyeSight™ system give the 2014 Subaru Forester excellent evasive capabilities, especially for a compact SUV.
||Significant design improvements over the previous model have given the 2014 Subaru Forester the best forward field of vision in its class. A redesigned A-pillar and partition windows have been integrated into the front doors to reduce blind spots. The side mirrors have been placed on the door panels to create improved visibility (forward and rear). In addition, the glass area has been increased and the side mirror surface area is larger by 6% over the previous model. These enhancements, combined with the classic high seating position and the available rear-view camera, give the new Forester driver a supremely confident feeling behind the wheel.
Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)
||The Subaru Forester features a standard VDC (VDC is also known as electronic stability control) system with advanced sensors to monitor and analyze if the vehicle is following the driver’s intended course. When the limits of stability are approached, the system automatically adjusts the AWD torque distribution (Models equipped with CVT only), engine output and brakes at each wheel to help keep the vehicle on-course. This system gives drivers of all abilities the feeling of added security under all possible scenarios.
EyeSight™ Advanced Driving Assist System
||An optional feature on select 2014 Forester models, EyeSight utilizes two cameras to monitor activity in the road ahead and provide assistance to the driver via multiple advanced active-safety systems. Adaptive Cruise Control maintains a safe distance to the car ahead. Pre-collision Braking can slow or stop the car temporarily when it sees a panic braking situation unfolding. Pre-collision Throttle Management is designed to cut power during an absent-minded start if it detects a person or object in the way. And the Lane Departure and Sway Warning helps keep you on the straight and narrow. Like a second pair of eyes, EyeSight provides warning cues and helps you avoid potential danger. Watch all the EyeSight features in action (video demonstration).
||The ABS on the Subaru Forester incorporates the latest thinking on anti-skid prevention, as well as other features designed with added safety in mind. Electronic Brake-force Distribution automatically adjusts front/rear brake pressure under different vehicle loads. Brake Override cuts engine power when the brakes and accelerator are applied simultaneously. And Brake Assist automatically provides added stopping power in panic-braking situations. All combined, these advances generate superior confidence for those times when the brakes are needed most.
Stands and delivers
In the event that an accident is unavoidable, every Subaru boasts a wide range of passive safety systems that are designed to deliver class-leading levels of protection. Each vehicle features exceptionally rigid construction and incorporates the latest technologies; together, these advances minimize collision damage and, in turn, generate much greater peace of mind.
Advanced Ring-shaped Reinforcement Frame
||This proprietary design strengthens the passenger compartment by linking the roof to the side pillars and the floor. As a result, impact energy coming from all directions is dissipated and then diverted away from the passenger cabin. A front crumple zone and an engine designed to slide under the passenger compartment provide further protection in the event of a frontal impact. This design has been further bolstered through revamped bumper beams, a reinforced counterforce support structure and the addition of high tensile strength steel to key areas for greater protection in the event of a rollover or an impact coming from any direction.
The Subaru Forester features a full complement of supplemental restraints, including dual-stage deployment front airbags, front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, side-curtain airbags with roll-over sensors for front and rear outboard occupants and a new driver’s knee airbag. This focus on passive safety represents an integral part of the Subaru offering and a key reason why our standards are setting the standard in markets around the world.
Whiplash-reducing Front Seats
The new whiplash-reducing front seats are specially designed with rigid frames, firm headrests and energy-absorbing inner seat construction to help mitigate the effects of a rear-end collision and reduce the chances of whiplash. This represents another example of how Subaru designs and engineers improvements to boost driver confidence and set the pace for the industry.
Safety and Security
- Airbags (SRS): Driver dual-stage deployment
- Airbags (SRS): Driver knee
- Airbags (SRS): Front passenger dual-stage deployment with occupant detection system
- Airbags (SRS): Front seat side-impact
- Airbags (SRS): Side curtain with rollover sensor
- Assist grips: Outboard seating positions
- Brake pedal: Retractable
- Child safety: Rear door locking system
- Child safety: Rear seat ISO-FIX/LATCH anchor system
- Driver's footrest: Impact-absorbing
- Head restraints (front): Height-adjustable and tilt adjustible
- Head restraints (rear): Removable and adjustable
- Seatbelts: Engagement indicator and warning buzzer
- Seatbelts (front): 3-point with pretensioners and load limiters (Driver - ELR/Passenger - ELR)
- Seatbelts (front): Height-adjustable shoulder belt anchors
- Seatbelts (rear): 3-point, all seating positions (ELR)
- Seatbelts (rear): Integrated outboard shoulder belt anchors
- Security: Anti-theft system
- Security: Engine immobilizer system
- Security: Keyless entry system with panic alarm
- Steering column: Collapsible
- Traction Control System
- Vehicle Dynamics Control system with lateral-g and yaw-rate sensor
The driving force
From the very beginning, Subaru vehicles have provided drivers with a uniquely confident experience behind the wheel. The core technology that drives this feeling – the low-profile SUBARU BOXER engine, world-renowned AWD system, fully independent suspension system and widespread use of lightweight, high-tensile-strength steel – powers every single Subaru, including the 2014 Subaru Forester. The result: An honest-to-goodness SUV with completely unique qualities for an SUV, including superb handling, impressive efficiency and dynamic all-road/all-weather performance.
The Renowned SUBARU BOXER Engine
||The Subaru Forester is available with the choice of two lightweight, high-performing SUBARU BOXER engines – a 2.5L naturally aspirated 4-cylinder or a 2.0L direct-injection twin-scroll turbocharged 4-cylinder. The former delivers surprising acceleration and stellar fuel efficiency while producing minimal emissions. This engine is also available with optional PZEV equipment that reduces smog-forming emissions to near zero without any impact on response or drivability. Meanwhile, the all-new turbocharged engine creates stunning acceleration that exceeds that of far more expensive vehicles, yet it’s more fuel-efficient than ever and can operate on regular unleaded fuel. The turbocharged Forester also features the SI-DRIVE engine management system with three driver-selectable settings for maximum control.
||Dual Overhead Cam
170 hp @ 5800 rpm
174 lb-ft @ 4100 rpm
Active Valve Control System
Meets LEV2 standards
The naturally aspirated 2.5-litre 4-cylinder SUBARU BOXER is available with optional PZEV equipment that helps to reduce smog-forming emissions to near zero with no compromise in performance. This optional technology allows the Subaru Forester to meet California’s Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) tailpipe standard, making it one of the cleanest gas-powered vehicles on the road today. Find out more about Subaru’s PZEV technology.
Manual Transmission (6MT)
City / Hwy
City / Hwy
Automatic Transmission (CVT)
City / Hwy
City / Hwy
2.0L 4-cylinder turbocharged
Dual Overhead Cam
250 hp @ 5600 rpm
258 lb-ft @ 2000-4800 rpm
Dual Active Valve Control System
Meets LEV2 standards
Automatic Transmission (CVT)
City / Hwy
City / Hwy
Transmissions + AWD
The 2014 Subaru Forester offers the choice of a 6-speed manual or continuously variable transmission, each designed to work with different versions of the Subaru symmetrical full-time AWD system to create optimum response to a full range of driving conditions. The AWD systems themselves feature an advanced new design for even greater performance in challenging circumstances.
6-speed Manual Transmission (6MT)
A new addition to the Forester line-up, the 6MT is connected to a viscous-coupling limited-slip centre differential that provides near neutral handling and maximum control for the driver. This transmission also features design improvements that have reduced weight, boosted fuel efficiency and enabled more precise shifts. More importantly, these changes have combined to create a sportier, more direct connection between the driver and the vehicle, and the vehicle and the road.
Lineartronic® CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)
The second generation of the Subaru Lineartronic® CVT, offered in the Forester for the first time, is linked to a multi-plate transfer clutch AWD system that delivers very predictable handling and automatically shifts torque to the back wheels under hard acceleration or in low-traction conditions. Paddle shifters mounted behind the steering wheel and a manual shift mode deliver even more control for the driver (on selected models). Quieter, lighter and surprisingly compact this advanced transmission helps deliver incredible fuel efficiency – in fact, the Forester is the most efficient compact SUV with full-time AWD on the market today.
The Subaru Forester features a lightweight, ultra-rigid chassis that delivers a strong, secure feeling and sets the stage for superior handling. The long-travel fully independent suspension system, wide track and impressive ground clearance create rugged capability and a solid, planted feel that sets new standards in this class. Refinements for the 2014 model year have brought reduced harshness, improved stability and even more agility, creating a truly engaging and stress-free ride.
The revised MacPherson front strut-type suspension system features larger stabilizer bars and stiffer cross-members for greater stability, more direct response and improved driver feedback. This set-up, combined with the very wide track and generous ground clearance of 220 mm, give the Forester crisp steering, remarkable handling and genuine go-anywhere capability. The new front suspension system also helps deliver a more comfortable ride over a wider variety of road surfaces.
The double-wishbone rear suspension utilizes stabilizer bars for a smoother ride and a truly stable feeling, especially when cornering. The rear bushings have been fine-tuned and high-response valves have been added to the shock absorbers to minimize harshness, producing a comfortable ride that manages to soak up bumps easily, yet still give the Forester a genuinely sporty edge. Expertly balancing sporty handling with refinement, the Forester handles rough roads and sharp corners with equal poise and precision.
- Hill Descent Control
- Brake Override System
- Brakes: Power-assisted, dual-diagonal system
- Brakes: ABS, 4-channel/4-sensor/4-wheel
- Brakes: Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Brakes: Brake Assist
- Brakes (front): Ventilated discs (294 x 24 mm), dual-piston calipers
- Brakes (front): Ventilated discs (316 x 30 mm), dual-piston calipers
- Brakes (rear): Solid discs (274 x 10 mm), single-piston calipers
- Brakes (rear): Ventilated discs (278 x 18 mm), single-piston calipers
- Steering: Engine-speed-sensitive, power-assisted rack and pinion
- Structure: Advanced ring-shaped reinforcement frame
- Structure: Dual, side-impact door beams (front and rear)
- Structure: Energy-absorbing crumple zones (front and rear)
- Suspension: 4-wheel fully independent
- Suspension: Stabilizer bar (front and rear)
- Suspension (front): MacPherson strut with lower L-arm
- Suspension (rear): Double-wishbone
- Engine: 2.5L Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC), 16-valve, horizontally opposed, 4-cylinder SUBARU BOXER engine, Electronic Throttle Control and Active Valve Control System
- Power: 170 hp @ 5800 rpm
- Torque: 174 lb-ft @ 4100 rpm
- Engine: 2.0L Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC), 16-valve, horizontally opposed, 4-cylinder SUBARU BOXER engine with twin-scroll turbocharger and intercooler, Electronic Throttle Control and Dual Active Valve Control System with direct injection
- Power: 250 hp @ 5600 rpm
- Torque: 258 lb-ft @ 2000-4800 rpm
- Emissions: Meets Low Emission Vehicle (LEV2) standards
- Emissions: Meets Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) standards
- Engine block: Open deck design, aluminum
- Engine block: Semi-closed deck design, aluminum
- Engine top cover
- Fuel injection: Direct injection
- Fuel injection: Sequential multiport
- Ignition system: Direct
- PZEV emissions equipment
- Spark plugs: Iridium-tipped
Transmission and Drivetrain*
* Selected features may not be available on all trim levels. Check specifications section for full details.
- Lineartronic® CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)
- Lineartronic® CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) with manual mode
- 6-speed Manual Transmission (6MT) with Hill Holder system
- Lineartronic® CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) with manual mode with 6 and 8 manual modes
- Lock-up torque converter
- Transmission shift lock
- Differential (rear): Standard open type
** 2013 "Top Safety Pick" based on 31 mph side-impact crash test, 40 mph moderate overlap frontal crash test, 20 mph rear-impact test, and roof strength testing. Test performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. For details, visit www.iihs.org.